    SubjectRe: memory detection and bios
    Date
    Dan Merillat <Dan@merillat.org> writes:
    > Besides, BIOS memory check just checks to see if memory is there... by
    > writing to it. So unless your BIOS formats your scsi disk every time you
    > boot, I don't see the problem.

    Your BIOS is aware of your motherboard's chipset, thus it might be
    able to avoid problems with add-on cards that use memory-mapped
    drivers. For instance, I would imagine that some chipset allow to
    disable all ISA/PCI bus accesses while scanning for core memory. I
    cannot tell, whether this is actually what some BIOS versions do, but
    it would be a strong argument towards a BIOS based algorithm for
    determining memory size, rather than probing from a normal user
    program. And it is miles ahead of requiring the user to specify the
    memory size. I am still "stuck" :-) with 32MB, but I would expect
    larger machines to become increasingly popular.

    I do think, that your proposal is sensible. Maybe you could code up a
    sample patch and submit it to this list. Then, if nobody notices any
    problems and if there are no other objections, maybe it gets included
    in the official developers' kernel release. After all, the 2.1.x
    kernels are meant for testing out new features.

    Markus

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:0.019 / U:30.236 seconds]