SubjectRe: SMALL bug
On Fri, 25 Oct 1996, Colin Plumb wrote:

> Charlie Ross wrote:
>
> > Not even really a bug, just a curriocity...
> > Console in text mode...
> > for some reason, about one in every 100 times the console scrolls, it wont
> > scroll cleanly, ie, text will flash (almost subliminally) where text
> > shouldnt be...
>

> Kelly French theorized:
>
> > I believe linux sets the video card to display different portions of
> > video memory. This would remove the need to 'scroll' the screen in
> > video memory (which is relatively slow). It looks like the kernel is
> > getting confused by some situation and displaying the wrong part of the
> > buffer on the screen. When the next new-line is sent, the correct
> > portion of the buffer is displayed (thus, it flashes instead of
> > pauses).
>
> It's not the next newline when the screen fixes itself, but the
> next frame the video card displays, leading to the very brief
> flickering of the errors.

I could have sworn that I had the screen displaying the wrong thing for
more than one frame (i.e. it just at there waiting for more input). Once
I hit enter (at the bash prompt I was at), things were fixed. Don't quote
me though. I'll try to reproduce it.

-Kelly

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:0.053 / U:1.112 seconds]