SubjectRe: binfmts ...

Responding to Jacques Gelinas (jack@solucorp.qc.ca), I want to say I agree with
him about his /proc/config, moreover I think we could try to put there
compile-time options...but that's my point of view, maybe putting compile
options would be too 'rough' for the average user..it would need to be twisted a
little bit to be understandable by anybody, but that's a question of
presentation of things :)

>Note that with kerneld, the concept of what is in the kernel is less
>useful as almost everything is part of the kernel logically, includint the
>a.out loader which is load on demand.
My point is that putting information such as supported filesystems or binfmts in
/proc allows the user to know what is in his kernel at a GIVEN time, and I think
this might be of some interest since there are linux users who are not
interested in system configuration and don't know (and don't want to know) their
kernel uses modules, so adding information in /proc can be useful for system
administration for people who want to do it simply.

Besides this, I'd like to say that there is no way for people to determine which
binfmts are available, apart going and check in /usr/src/linux/.config ...
Imagine someone who has no aout support builtin in his kernel, and who hasn't
got the module, and who hasn't his kernel sources on his disk... how can he
learn this from the kernel? I can't see how :)

But the very point is, in my opinion, there should be a /proc/binfmt (whatever
its name), as there is already a /proc/filesystems.
Moreover, I think this wouldn't be a very big memory loss : in the previously
given patch, I allowed 12 characters for a binary format's name, if you have
aout + elf + script + java, that's 5*12 = 60 bytes...

jb.
| Jean-Baptiste Nivoit |
| nivoit_jea@lsi.supelec.fr |
|"So for now, dear, au revoir ma belle. But I vow, dear, not farewell."|
|Deckard,BladeRunner ;-b |

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.030 / U:0.228 seconds]