    SubjectRe: Solution to problem with loading modules in 2.1.4/2.1.5

    Hello All, Is the below mentioned libc-* the one to
    use under 2.1.x kernel tree & is there a good
    page or Faq for installing these 'wonderful' changes
    to the core of a kernel/filesystem. The last time I
    played around with installing a -new- libc (pre-linux2.0)
    to be able to compile the new & greatly improved linux-2.0.x
    the 'scheme' I used, seemed to break 1/3 of all the 'tools'
    (ie: net, file, a couple more ), I'm just a little gun shy
    after that last episode.

    The only real cure (for me) was to purchase the slackware96.
    This time I beleive that Slackware96(1/2) will be a little
    ways off to wait for...

    PS. I've learned more from these mailing lists & the 5-7 times
    I've had to reload because I've broken something than .... ;-)

    Any helpful suggestions, Please JimL

    On Sat, 19 Oct 1996, Rob Glover wrote:

    > Date: Sat, 19 Oct 1996 21:38:20 -0700 (PDT)
    > From: Rob Glover <potato@dsnet.com>
    > To: Al Longyear <longyear@netcom.com>
    > Cc: linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu
    > Subject: Re: Solution to problem with loading modules in 2.1.4/2.1.5
    >
    > upgrade to libc-5.4.9. simple as that :>
    >
    > On Sat, 19 Oct 1996, Al Longyear wrote:
    >
    > > For the past couple of days I have been trying to make the 2.1.4
    > > kernel work on my laptop system.
    > >
    > > The laptop needs to use modules because the ethernet and modems are
    > > both PCMCIA cards and the PCMCIA support needs modules.
    > >
    > > All attempts to load modules would fail with a message saying that the
    > > module load had some really strange error number such as 1032201031.
    > > (Clearly, this is not an error.)
    > >
    > > This was with the 2.0.0 version of the modules utilities. I checked
    > > and this is the most current one as of last night.
    > >
    > > It would fail to load _any_ module, including the ones built by the
    > > kernel's software such as the minix file system or the iso9660 file
    > > system. The problem was not with David Hinds' PCMCIA code, but was
    > > generic in nature.
    > >
    > > It turns out to be a problem with syscall interface which changed at
    > > 2.1.4.
    > >
    > > I debugged the insmod program and looked at the source for the module
    > > loader in the kernel. Yes, the return from the syscall(...) subroutine
    > > in the libc library was returning the error condition.
    > >
    > > The version of the libc on that system is 5.4.7.
    > >
    > > The reason that I brought libc into this message is that the insmod
    > > procedure uses syscall, not _syscall2 to interface to the operating
    > > system. The problem is that the syscall function was built with the
    > > old macros and only worked reliably on the the earlier 2.1 series
    > > kernels.
    > >
    > > A solution, "just to make it work", was to change the insmod to use
    > > the macros _syscall2 and _syscall5 directly to build the interface
    > > procedures rather than to go through the syscall procedure.
    > >
    > > Lo and behold, modules were loaded and everything worked.
    > >
    > > That is not a recommended solution to anyone. The approach should be
    > > to correct the syscall interface in the libc file so that it follows
    > > the lines of the _syscall macros now in the kernel.
    > >
    > > I am only saying that this is what I found and this is the problem and
    > > here is how I solved it for me for the time being. If you have similar
    > > problems with loading modules then perhaps you have the same problem.
    > >
    > > In the mean time, I guess that I will just have to limp along with my
    > > patched version of insmod that seems to work now and can get back to
    > > my work on ppp.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Al Longyear longyear@netcom.com Finger for PGP key
    > > Design is about changing your mind until you get it correct.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.021 / U:30.292 seconds]