SubjectRe: Developing Linux boot from CDROM
Date

> Hallo,
>
> I remember vague that I have seen some pointer to make CD's bootable on
> www.microsofty.com, together with some NDA to get the specs. But I didn't
> find it again.
> I mail Award and MrBios as BIOS Manufacturs for Information on that
> subject. If I get something, I will let you know too. Perhaps try the same

We started making our Caldera Open Linux CDROMs bootable about a month
ago. It's quite nice if your machine's BIOS supports it. Put in the
CD, hit reset, and in a few moments you are in our Linux install program - no
floppies, no DOS...

An HTML format version of the spec can be found at:

"El Torito" Bootable CD-ROM Format Specification - Version 1.0
http://www.cd-info.com/CDIC/Bibliography.html

The PDF format documents from Phoenix can be found at:

http://www.ptltd.com/techs/specs.html

Other useful, related info can be found at:

CD Bibliography
http://ww.org/w/cdos/

Ron

--
Ron Holt <ron@caldera.com> Caldera, Inc.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:0.028 / U:0.328 seconds]