SubjectRe: proposal for generic interface to /proc text files
On Tue, 1 Oct 1996, Rob Riggs wrote:
> On 01-Oct-96 Tyson D Sawyer wrote:
> >A good adaptable interface doesn't need backwards compatitbility,
> >as is the case of tagged entries. [snip]

> I think one file, distributed with the kernel and describing the current
> proc layout, is best. [snip]

Hidden assumption there. It requires that all fields in every /proc file
appear every time, that is, it makes no allowance for conditional output.
Some files *might* want to omit fields that do not apply to the current
environment. A simple field by field proc descriptor file cannot cope with
this format without some form of identifier in the files, which is where we
came in.

Of course we could mandate that all proc files display all their fields every
time, i.e. no conditional output. We just need to be sure that we are happy
with that decision.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:0.091 / U:0.456 seconds]