SubjectRe: [RFC] Proposal of QEMU PCI Endpoint test environment
From
Hi Vaishnav,

On 2023/09/26 21:40, Vaishnav Achath wrote:
> Hi Kishon, all,
>
> On 26/09/23 15:17, Shunsuke Mie wrote:
>> On 2023/09/21 18:11, Kishon Vijay Abraham I wrote:
>>> +Vaishnav
>>>
>>> Hi Shunsuke,

>>> This would be quite useful and thank you for attempting it! I would like to
>>> compare other mechanisms available in-addition to QEMU before going with the
>>> QEMU approach.
>> I got it. I'll make a table to compare some methods that includes greybus to
>> realize this emulation environment.
>>

>> Best,
>>
>> Shunsuke
>>
>>> Though I don't understand this fully, Looking at
>>> https://osseu2023.sched.com/event/1OGk8/emulating-devices-in-linux-using-greybus-subsystem-vaishnav-mohandas-achath-texas-instruments, Vaishnav seems to solve the same problem using greybus for multiple type s of devices.
>>>
>>> Vaishnav, we'd wait for your OSS presentation but do you have any initial
>>> thoughts on how greybus could be used to test PCIe endpoint drivers?
>>>
> Apologies for the delay, I don't think greybus can be used for PCIe testing as
> there is no greybus equivalent for PCIe[1], it can only be used for relatively
> simpler devices today, I guess roadtest(UML based)[2] could be an alternative in
> this case.

Thank you for your comment.

To my understanding, the roadtest uses UML and it interact with hardware
model written in python to do testing. This would be grate for automated
testing to test drivers and subsystems.

For this PCIe endpoint, I think we need to hosts, one that works as a
PCIe endpoint and one that is a PCIe Root Complex to it. Is it possible
to realize the system?
like:
UML + PCIe endpoint function driver <-> python HW model (PCI Endpoint
controller) <-> UML + pci driver for the function

As another option, I'm considering the feasibility of dummy PCIe EPC
driver. It works as a PCIe EPC device in kernel and show pci device
according to the PCIe endpoint function driver to the same host. so It
could be realize a single host and test the function driver.

Best,

Shunsuke

> 1 -
> https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/drivers/staging/greybus
> 2 - https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/YjN1ksNGujV611Ka@sirena.org.uk/
>
> Thanks and Regards,
> Vaishnav
>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Kishon

  Last update: 2023-10-03 06:57    [W:0.050 / U:1.376 seconds]