SubjectRe: New kernel interface for sys_tz and timewarp?
Linus Torvalds wrote:
> I assume/think that glibc uses (a) environment
> variables and (b) a filesystem-set default (per-user file with a
> system-wide default? I don't know what people do).
glibc relies on the TZ environment variable, with a system-wide default
specified in /etc/localtime or suchlike (there is no per-user default). glibc
ignores the kernel's 'struct timezone' settings for of this, as 'struct
timezone' is obsolete/vestigial and doesn't contain enough info to do proper
conversions anyway.

I've been thinking of adding NetBSD's localtime_rz etc. functions to glibc.
These functions let user programs specify the time zone for each conversion
between time_t and local time, and simplify and/or speed up applications dealing
with many requests coming from different time zones. These functions also ignore
'struct timezone'.

There's no need to put any of this stuff into the kernel.

  Last update: 2019-08-13 19:56    [W:0.185 / U:2.076 seconds]