SubjectRe: Amiga RDB partition support for disks >= 2 TB

On 20180628 01:16, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> Dear Joanne.
>
> jdow - 28.06.18, 08:39:
>> Anything done to RDBs for Linux must remain 100.000% compatible with
>> existing Amiga equipment. Otherwise, what's the point of bothering to
>> use RDBs?
>
> Done to, in the sense of written to: Yes. I completely agree. But that
> is for amiga-fdisk and parted. And for partitioning tools on native OS.

Design changes, too.

> […]
>> That brings to the fore an interesting question. Why bother with RDBs
>> over 2TB unless you want a disk with one single partition? This Win10
>> monster I am using has a modest BIOS driver partition for the OS and
>> a giant data partition. That smaller partition would easily work with
>> any RDB/Filesystem combination since 2.0. So there are some good
>> workarounds that are probably "safer" and at least as flexible as
>> RDBs, one Linux has used for a very long time, too.
>
> Well, my use case was simple:
>
> I had this 2 TB disk and I choose to share it as a backup disk for Linux
> *and* AmigaOS 4.x on that Sam440ep I still have next to me desk here.

EEEEEEK! The hair on my neck is standing up straight! Have you heard of SAMBA?
The linux mail server firewall etc machine has an extra 4TB disk on it as a
backup for the other systems, although a piddly 4TB is small when I save the
entire 3G RAID system I have. It's a proof of concept so.... A full backup on a
1gig Ethernet still takes a looooong time. But backing up even an 18GB disk on
an Amiga via 100Base-t isn't too bad. And disk speeds of the era being what they
were it's about all you can do anyway.

{o.o}

  Last update: 2018-06-28 12:01    [W:0.152 / U:0.156 seconds]