SubjectRe: [RFC 2/2] rcu: Remove ->dynticks_nmi_nesting from struct rcu_dynticks
On Mon, Jun 25, 2018 at 09:39:51AM -0700, Joel Fernandes wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 25, 2018 at 05:28:24PM +0900, Byungchul Park wrote:

> > > Good point Steve. So I guess in the current kernel sources, there's no code
> > > that uses UMH in IRQ context AFAICT. I'll go through the google group thread
> > > Paul pointed as well to study the history of the problem a bit more.
> >
> > Me too. Good discussion we had thanks to you, Joel.
>
> No problem, thanks for the patch in the first place which triggered this
> discussion.
>
> For whatever its worth, I made some notes of what I understood from reading
> the code and old posts because I was sure I would otherwise forget
> everything:
> http://www.joelfernandes.org/linuxinternals/2018/06/15/rcu-dynticks.html
>
> Feel free to comment on that post directly (or here) if you feel something is
> grossly wrong.
>
> Again thank you and everyone for the discussion! ;-)

Not a bad writeup! A few comments, as usual...

Thanx, Paul

When I traced rdtp->dynticks_nesting, I could only find its
value to be either a 0 or a 1. However looking back at old kernel
sources, it appears that these can be nested becaues of so called
“half-interrupts”. I believe these are basically interrupts
that cause a transition to usermode due to usermode upcalls
(usermode helper subsystem). So a nesting situation could be
something like: 1. Transition from idle to process context which
makes dynticks_nesting == 1. Next, an interrupt comes in which
makes a usermode upcall. This usermode call now makes a system
call causing entry back into process context, which increments
the dynticks_nesting counter to 2. Such a crazy situation is
perhaps possible.

The half-interrupts can instead cause ->dynticks_nmi_nesting to either
fail to return to zero or to go negative, depending on which half of
the interrupt was present. I don't immediately recall the reason for
allowing nested process-level entry/exit. Might be another place to
put a WARN_ON_ONCE(), as eliminating this capability would save another
conditional branch.

Any time the rdtp->dynticks counter’s second-lowest most bit
is not set, we are in an EQS, and if its set, then we are not
(second lowest because lowest is reserved for something else as
of v4.18-rc1). This function is not useful to check if we’re
in an EQS from a timer tick though, because its possible the
timer tick interrupt entry caused an EQS exit which updated
the counter. IOW, the ‘dynticks’ counter is not capable of
checking if we had already exited the EQS before. To check if
we were in an EQS or not from the timer tick, we instead must
use dynticks_nesting counter. More on that later. The above
function is probably just useful to make sure that interrupt
entry/exit is properly updating the dynticks counter, and also
to make sure from non-interrupt context that RCU is in an EQS
(see rcu_gp_fqs function).

You lost me on this one. There is rcu_is_cpu_rrupt_from_idle(), but
I am not sure what you are trying to achieve here, so I am not sure
whether this function does what you want.

When dynticks_nesting is decremented to 0 (the outermost
process-context nesting level exit causes an eqs-entry), the
dynticks_nmi_nesting is reset to

I think you want "0." at the end of this sentence. Or maybe my browser
is messing things up.

Thanx, Paul

  Last update: 2018-06-25 19:17    [W:0.300 / U:0.540 seconds]