SubjectRe: [RFC 2/2] rcu: Remove ->dynticks_nmi_nesting from struct rcu_dynticks
On Mon, Jun 25, 2018 at 05:28:24PM +0900, Byungchul Park wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 22, 2018 at 01:05:48PM -0700, Joel Fernandes wrote:
> > On Fri, Jun 22, 2018 at 02:32:47PM -0400, Steven Rostedt wrote:

> > > But this case still looks like it uses work queues, it just doesn't
> > > wait for the result.
> > >
> > > I'll have to look at the code from what it looked like back in 2011, to
> > > see if there was an actual issue here back then.
> >
> > Good point Steve. So I guess in the current kernel sources, there's no code
> > that uses UMH in IRQ context AFAICT. I'll go through the google group thread
> > Paul pointed as well to study the history of the problem a bit more.
>
> Me too. Good discussion we had thanks to you, Joel.

No problem, thanks for the patch in the first place which triggered this
discussion.

For whatever its worth, I made some notes of what I understood from reading
the code and old posts because I was sure I would otherwise forget
everything:
http://www.joelfernandes.org/linuxinternals/2018/06/15/rcu-dynticks.html

Feel free to comment on that post directly (or here) if you feel something is
grossly wrong.

Again thank you and everyone for the discussion! ;-)

- Joel

  Last update: 2018-06-25 18:40    [W:0.146 / U:0.728 seconds]