SubjectRe: [GIT PULL] HID fixes
On Wed, 20 Jun 2018, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> But what is the *source* of this binary crud?
>
> Because no way in hell do we take binary crud from random places, and
> then add it to the kernel.
>
> NOT EVEN IF IT WENT THROUGH SOME "hidrd-convert" PHASE!
>
> And yes, now that I google for that hidrd-convert pattern, I see that
> we already have other broken chunks like this.
>
> Not ok. At least some of them seem to mention where the data comes from,
> eg
>
> "This is the original report descriptor as reported by lsusb -vd 046d:c294"
>
> but this one has no such information.
>
> So guys, you need to think about where things come from, and document
> how some random garbage came to be. Not just add it to the kernel.

Well, at least for the ones I've done myself in the past, those are
hand-written from scratch.

It's not really a firmware / code, it's just a description of the data in
the reports, so that HID parser can interpret it properly.

--
Jiri Kosina
SUSE Labs

  Last update: 2018-06-20 11:18    [W:0.060 / U:1.120 seconds]