SubjectRe: [RFC V2] virtio: Add platform specific DMA API translation for virito devices
On Wed, 2018-06-13 at 00:41 -0700, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 11, 2018 at 01:29:18PM +1000, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> > At the risk of repeating myself, let's just do the first pass which is
> > to switch virtio over to always using the DMA API in the actual data
> > flow code, with a hook at initialization time that replaces the DMA ops
> > with some home cooked "direct" ops in the case where the IOMMU flag
> > isn't set.
> >
> > This will be equivalent to what we have today but avoids having 2
> > separate code path all over the driver.
> >
> > Then a second stage, I think, is to replace this "hook" so that the
> > architecture gets a say in the matter.
>
> I don't think we can actually use dma_direct_ops. It still allows
> architectures to override parts of the dma setup, which virtio seems
> to blindly assume phys == dma and not cache flushing.

By direct ops I didn't mean *the* dma_direct_ops but a virtio-local
variants that effectively reproduces the existing expectations (ie,
virtio-dma-legacy-ops or something).

> I think the right way forward is to either add a new
> VIRTIO_F_IS_PCI_DEVICE (or redefine the existing iommu flag if deemed
> possible). And then make sure recent qemu always sets it.

Ben.

  Last update: 2018-06-13 14:27    [W:0.102 / U:0.148 seconds]