SubjectRe: linux-next: manual merge of the akpm-current tree with the jc_docs tree
On Wed, May 09, 2018 at 08:59:20AM -0600, Jonathan Corbet wrote:
> On Wed, 9 May 2018 15:28:24 +0200
> Andrea Parri <andrea.parri@amarulasolutions.com> wrote:
>
> > > BTW, it would be nice if the the question "Why was this file removed?" was
> > > answered by that jc_docs commit message ... I actually wonder if this
> > > file needs to return (I have no way of knowing).
> >
> > My bad; thanks for pointing this out.
> >
> > Mmh... "why" would have been something like "the feature has no Kconfig". ;-)
> >
> > I defer to your (community) decision regarding "if this file needs to return"
> > (Cc-ing Ingo, who created the file and also suggested its removal); I remain
> > available for preparing the patch to restore (and refresh) this file, should
> > you agree with this approach.
>
> So I'll confess that I balked on the lack of a changelog, but then decided
> to proceed with the patch (and the other removal as well) due to the lack
> of the Kconfig option.
>
> Now that I look a little closer, I think the real issue is that the
> "features" documentation assumes that there's a Kconfig option for each,
> but there isn't in this case. The lack of a Kconfig option does not,
> this time around, imply that the feature has gone away.
>
> I think that I should probably revert this patch in the short term.
> Longer-term, it would be good to have an alternative syntax for "variable
> set in the arch headers" to describe situations like this.

Both matters were discussed during v1:

http://lkml.kernel.org/r/1522774551-9503-1-git-send-email-andrea.parri@amarulasolutions.com

... (and the glory details are documented in features-refresh.sh ;-) ).

As I suggested above, simply reverting this patch will leave this file,
(and only this file!) out-of-date (and won't resolve the conflict with
Laurent's patch ...).

Andrea

> Make sense?
>
> Thanks,
>
> jon

  Last update: 2018-05-09 18:54    [W:0.056 / U:0.620 seconds]