SubjectRe: [Ksummit-discuss] bug-introducing patches
On Tue, 2018-05-08 at 21:43 +0000, Sasha Levin via Ksummit-discuss
wrote:
> On Tue, May 08, 2018 at 01:59:18PM -0700, David Lang wrote:
> > On Tue, 8 May 2018, Sasha Levin wrote:
> >
> > > There's no one, for example, who picked up vanilla v4.16 and
> > > plans to keep using it for a year.
> >
> > Actually, at a prior job I would do almost exactly that.
> >
> > I never intended to go a year without updating, but it would happen
> > if  nothing came up that was related to the hardware/features I
> > was running.
> >
> > so 'no one uses the Linus kernel is false.
>
> My point is not that "no one ever uses Linus kernel" but that no one
> takes one of those kernels and plans to stick with it for 3 months
> until the next one comes up, even if there are updates relevant to
> that user..

Actually, I have sometimes done that. My current laptop is running the
v4.16 tag now, not because I intended to run it for this long but
because I've run into a Round Tuit shortage as far as the -rc
candidates go.

> Yes, some users will use a .0 release until either Greg releases a
> -stable, or until the next -rc is out.
>
> What I'm trying to say is that there is that the .0 release makes
> some people rush poorly tested commits in it even though the .0
> release is not significant in any way.

As a milestone, it's extremely significant because it's the cadence
from which everything else flows. If we as developers stop taking the
-rc cycle seriously, you'll find immediate negative consequences for
your stable kernels. And I mean way worse consequences than the odd
bad judgment call about a patch that ought not to have gone in right
before a Linus release.

James

  Last update: 2018-05-09 00:42    [W:0.150 / U:0.096 seconds]