SubjectRe: RTL8723BE performance regression
On Tue, May 1, 2018 at 10:58 PM, Pkshih <pkshih@realtek.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2018-05-02 at 05:44 +0000, Pkshih wrote:

I've tested the commit mentioned above and it fixes the problem on top
of v4.16 (in addition to the latest wireless-drivers-next also been
fixed as it already contains such commit). On v4.15, we also need the
following commits before "af8a41cccf8f rtlwifi: cleanup 8723be ant_sel
definition" to have a good performance again:

874e837d67d0 rtlwifi: fill FW version and subversion
a44709bba70f rtlwifi: btcoex: Add power_on_setting routine
40d9dd4f1c5d rtlwifi: btcoex: Remove global variables from btcoex

Surprisingly, it seems forcing ant_sel=1 is not needed anymore on
these machines, as the shown by the numbers bellow (ant_sel=0 means
that actually no parameter was passed to the module). I have powered
off the machine and done a cold boot for every test. It seems
something have changed in the antenna auto-selection code since v4.11,
the latest point where I could confirm we definitely need to force
ant_sel=1. I've been trying to understand what causes this difference,
but haven't made progress on that so far, so any suggestions are
appreciated (we are trying to decide if we can confidently drop the
downstream DMI quirks for these specific machines).

w-d-n ant_sel=0: -14.00 dBm, 69.5 Mbps -> good
w-d-n ant_sel=1: -10.00 dBm, 41.1 Mbps -> good
w-d-n ant_sel=2: -44.00 dBm, 607 kbps -> bad

v4.16 ant_sel=0: -12.00 dBm, 63.0 Mbps -> good
v4.16 ant_sel=1: - 8.00 dBm, 69.0 Mbps -> good
v4.16 ant_sel=2: -50.00 dBm, 224 kbps -> bad

v4.15 ant_sel=0: - 8.00 dBm, 33.0 Mbps -> good
v4.15 ant_sel=1: -10.00 dBm, 38.1 Mbps -> good
v4.15 ant_sel=2: -48.00 dBm, 206 kbps -> bad

--
João Paulo Rechi Vita
http://about.me/jprvita

  Last update: 2018-05-07 23:50    [W:0.205 / U:0.040 seconds]