SubjectRe: Signal handling in a page fault handler
On Wed, Apr 4, 2018 at 6:24 PM, Matthew Wilcox <willy@infradead.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 04, 2018 at 05:15:46PM +0200, Daniel Vetter wrote:
>> On Wed, Apr 4, 2018 at 4:39 PM, Matthew Wilcox <willy@infradead.org> wrote:
>> > I actually have plans to allow mutex_lock_{interruptible,killable} to
>> > return -EWOULDBLOCK if a flag is set. So this doesn't seem entirely
>> > unrelated. Something like this perhaps:
>> >
>> > struct task_struct {
>> > + unsigned int sleep_state;
>> > };
>> >
>> > static noinline int __sched
>> > -__mutex_lock_interruptible_slowpath(struct mutex *lock)
>> > +__mutex_lock_slowpath(struct mutex *lock, long state)
>> > {
>> > - return __mutex_lock(lock, TASK_INTERRUPTIBLE, 0, NULL, _RET_IP_);
>> > + if (state == TASK_NOBLOCK)
>> > + return -EWOULDBLOCK;
>> > + return __mutex_lock(lock, state, 0, NULL, _RET_IP_);
>> > }
>> >
>> > +int __sched mutex_lock_state(struct mutex *lock, long state)
>> > +{
>> > + might_sleep();
>> > +
>> > + if (__mutex_trylock_fast(lock))
>> > + return 0;
>> > +
>> > + return __mutex_lock_slowpath(lock, state);
>> > +}
>> > +EXPORT_SYMBOL(mutex_lock_state);
>> >
>> > Then the page fault handler can do something like:
>> >
>> > old_state = current->sleep_state;
>> > current->sleep_state = TASK_INTERRUPTIBLE;
>> > current->sleep_state = old_state;
>> >

>> > This has the page-fault-in-a-signal-handler problem. I don't know if
>> > there's a way to determine if we're already in a signal handler and use
>> > a different sleep_state ...?
>>
>> Not sure what problem you're trying to solve, but I don't think that's
>> the one we have. The only way what we do goes wrong is if the fault
>> originates from kernel context. For faults from the signal handler I
>> think you just get to keep the pieces. Faults form kernel we can
>> detect through FAULT_FLAG_USER.
>
> Gah, I didn't explain well enough ;-(
>
> From the get_user_pages (and similar) handlers, we'd do
>
> old_state = current->sleep_state;
> current->sleep_state = TASK_KILLABLE;
> current->sleep_state = old_state;
>
> So you wouldn't need to discriminate on whether FAULT_FLAG_USER was set,
> but could just use current->sleep_state.
>
>> The issue I'm seeing is the following:
>> 1. Some kernel code does copy_*_user, and it points at a gpu mmap region.
>> 2. We fault and go into the gpu driver fault handler. That refuses to
>> insert the pte because a signal is pending (because of all the
>> interruptible waits and locks).
>> 3. Fixup section runs, which afaict tries to do the copy once more
>> using copy_user_handle_tail.
>> 4. We fault again, because the pte is still not present.
>> 5. GPU driver is still refusing to install the pte because signals are pending.
>> 6. Fixup section for copy_user_handle_tail just bails out.
>> 7. copy_*_user returns and indicates that that not all bytes have been copied.
> [...]

Yeah, plus ww_mutex_lock_state, and same for the dma_fence wait
functions, but we can patch those once the core stuff has landed.

The part I'm wondering about, that you didn't really illustrate: Are
mutex_lock_interruptible&friends supposed to automatically use
current->sleep_state, or are we somehow supposed to pass that through
the call stack? Or is the idea that we'd mass-convert all the gpu code
that can be reached from the fault handlers to use the new _state
variants, which will internally consult sleep_state?

Asking since the former would be best for us: Most paths can do
interruptible, but some can't, so changing the current->state logic to
take the most limiting of both the explicitly passed sleep_state and
the one set in current->sleep_state would be best. Otrherwise if you
have a path that can at most do killable waits, but it's context might
either allow fully interruptible or killable or even neither, then
there's still some fragile code around.

Bonus points if you could even nest assignemtns to
current->sleep_state (even when there's not really all that many
options), similar to how preempt_disable and other atomic sections
nest.
-Daniel
--
Daniel Vetter
Software Engineer, Intel Corporation

  Last update: 2018-04-04 19:46    [W:0.037 / U:0.668 seconds]