SubjectRe: Moving unmaintained filesystems to staging
Date
Pavel Machek - 26.04.18, 08:11:
> On Wed 2018-04-25 08:46:02, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> > Recently ncpfs got moved to staging. Also recently, we had some
> > fuzzer developers report bugs in hfs, which they deem a security
> > hole because Ubuntu attempts to automount an inserted USB device as
> > hfs.
>
> We promise "no-regressions" for code in main repository, no such
> promise for staging. We have quite a lot of code without maintainer.
>
> Moving code to staging means it will get broken -- staging was not
> designed for this. I believe moving anything there is bad idea.
>
> Staging is for ugly code, not for code that needs new maintainter.

Good point.

Moving things in and out to some "unmaintained" directory… I am not sure
about that either. I tend to think that moving code around does not
solve the underlying issue.

Which, according to what I got from Matthew, was that distributors
enable just about every filesystem they can enable which lead to hfs
being used for automounting an USB stick formatted with it.

In the end what may be beneficial would be hinting distributors and
people who compile their own kernels at what features are considered
stable, secure and well tested and what features are not, but how to
determine that? The hint could be some kernel option flag that would be
displayed by make *config. But then it probably needs also a
justification or at least a link to more information.

Actually did ever someone audit the whole kernel source?

Thanks,
--
Martin

  Last update: 2018-04-26 12:37    [W:0.181 / U:0.072 seconds]