SubjectRe: Early timeouts due to inaccurate jiffies during system suspend/resume
On Tue, Apr 24, 2018 at 05:07:41PM +0300, Imre Deak wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 23, 2018 at 08:01:28PM +0300, Imre Deak wrote:

> > > Yes, that can happen when the timer interrupt is delayed long enough for
> > > whatever reason. If you need accurate timing then you need to use
> > > ktime_get().
> >
> > Thanks. I always regarded jiffies as non-accurate, but something that
> > gives a minimum time delay guarantee (when adjusted by +1 as above). I
> > wonder if there are other callers in kernel that don't expect an early
> > timeout.
>
> msleep and any other schedule_timeout based waits are also affected. At the
> same time for example msleep's documentation says:
> "msleep - sleep safely even with waitqueue interruptions".
>
> To me that suggests a wait with a minimum guaranteed delay.
>
> Ville had an idea to make the behavior more deterministic by clamping
> the jiffies increment to 1 for each timer interrupt. Would that work?

Another observation is that this is basically the same problem
that we had with the drm vblank counter. I solved that by introducing
drm_accurate_vblank_count() which makes sure the counter is up to
date before sampling it. Then we can safely do stuff like:

count = drm_accurate_vblank_count();
while (drm_vblank_count() == count)
...;

As long as we don't lose all vblank interrupts that will work and never
complete prematurely. And we still allow the vblank counter to increment
by >1.

I suppose doing something similar for jiffies would be nice as well,
but I'm not sure how feasible that would be. At the very least it
would involve patching a lot of code.

--
Ville Syrjälä
Intel

  Last update: 2018-04-24 16:22    [W:0.074 / U:0.392 seconds]