SubjectRe: Make set_handle_irq and handle_arch_irq generic, v3
On Wed, 7 Mar 2018, Palmer Dabbelt wrote:

> This is my third version of this patch set, but the original cover
> letter is still the most relevant description I can come up with.
>
> This patch set has been sitting around for a while, but it got a bit lost
> in the shuffle. In RISC-V land we currently couple do_IRQ (the C entry
> point for interrupt handling) to our first-level interrupt controller.
> While this isn't completely crazy (as the first-level interrupt controller
> is specified by the ISA), it is a bit awkward.
>
> This patch set decouples our trap handler from our first-level IRQ chip
> driver by copying what a handful of other architectures are doing. This
> does add an additional load to the interrupt handling path, but there's a
> handful of performance problems in there that I've been meaning to look at
> so I don't mind adding another one for now. The advantage is that our
> irqchip driver is decoupled from our arch port, at least at compile time.
>
> I've build tested this with defconfigs on all the modified architectures
> after both patch 1 and 5. I've left the old acks in for the later
> patches as the patch set has changed very little since I last submitted
> it.

This looks sensible. We have two options for getting this merged:

1) I'll take the whole lot through tip/irq/core

2) I'll apply patch 1/N to a special branch in tip. That branch will contain
only this commit on top of 4.16-rc4 and can be pulled by the relevant
architecture maintainers, so they can apply their architecture specific
patches.

Please let me know how you want to proceed.

Thanks,

tglx

  Last update: 2018-03-09 11:22    [W:0.102 / U:0.464 seconds]