SubjectRe: a Heisenbug tale (was: Re: arm crypto .S_shipped files sometimes get rebuilt randomly)
On 8 March 2018 at 23:19, Rasmus Villemoes <linux@rasmusvillemoes.dk> wrote:
> On 2018-03-07 20:25, Leonard Crestez wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am using a toolchain with a broken/old version of perl which doesn't
>> include integer.pm and I noticed it triggers occasional build failures
>> on arch/arm64/crypto/sha512-core.S_shipped. Workarounds are easy, but
>> if the purpose of the .S_shipped is to avoid the need to have all
>> dependencies on the build machine then something went wrong?
>
> About a year ago, I debugged a very similar problem for a customer. The
> build system (an OpenEmbedded clone) did something like
>
> (1) git clone -n ...
> (2) git checkout -q $somerev
> (3) make foo_config
> (4) make vmlinux
> (5) make LOADADDR=0x1234 uImage
> (6) make modules
>
> The symptoms, when the bug appeared, was that the kernel was built with
> some version string "4.5.6-01234-g0abcdef", but the modules (both the
> native kernel modules and those built externally using the linux-dev
> package) ended up in /lib/modules/4.5.6-01234-g0abcdef-dirty.
>
> Now, the truly annoying thing about this bug was that when I did the
> above steps manually, but did a "git status" in-between steps 4 and 5 to
> see where the -dirty might come from, I could _never_ reproduce the bug
> (and git status always reported that the tree was clean), while it
> usually happened at least 1 in 20 CI builds. Of course, I didn't realize
> right away that "git status" was hiding the bug, but without that, I
> could reproduce about as often as the CI, while 100 builds with that
> extra step never reproduced. With that as a hint, I found
> http://git.661346.n2.nabble.com/BUG-in-git-diff-index-td7652105.html#a7652109,
> and slowly began to realize what might be happening.
>
> The thing is, the setlocalversion script doesn't use "git status" to
> decide whether to append -dirty, but rather the plumbing command "git
> diff-index". During the "make vmlinux", the tree is obviously clean, so
> we get the 4.5.6-01234-g0abcdef string baked into vmlinux. In some
> cases, the two files
>
> arch/arm/crypto/aesbs-core.S_shipped
> arch/arm/crypto/bsaes-armv7.pl
>
> ended up with different timestamps (the latter being newest) after the
> git checkout, so during that same "make vmlinux", the S_shipped file
> would be regenerated using the perl script. Since it is updated with ">"
> shell redirection, the dev and ino stays the same, so does the content,
> but the mtime is obviously updated.
>
> If we then go on to do a "make LOADADDR=0x1234 uImage", the kernel build
> system again calls setlocalversion, and this time "git diff-index
> --name-only HEAD" actually produces output (namely,
> arch/arm/crypto/aesbs-core.S_shipped), so include/config/kernel.release
> is recreated, this time containing "4.5.6-01234-g0abcdef-dirty". The
> right version string was already baked into vmlinux, so the resulting
> kernel shows that for uname -r, but everything from now on, including
> [...]

I had no idea that _shipped files were causing issues like this, and
AFAICT, this is not specific to this use case in arch/arm/crypto,
right?

Russell, would you mind if we removed the _shipped.S file here and
just assume that perl is available?

  Last update: 2018-03-09 10:45    [W:0.118 / U:0.292 seconds]