SubjectRe: git send-email and sending the cover-letter to all cc addresses found in a patch series
On Fri, 2018-03-23 at 08:38 +0100, Dominik Brodowski wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 22, 2018 at 10:44:54AM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> > On Thu, Mar 22, 2018 at 10:29 AM, Peter Zijlstra <peterz@infradead.org> wrote:
> > >
> > > But why !? Either Cc me on more of the series such that the whole makes
> > > sense, or better yet, write a proper Changelog.
> >
> > This is a common issue. We should encourage people to always send at
> > least the cover-page to everybody who gets cc'd, even if they don't
> > get the whole series.
>
> Will try to do that in future. Does git send-email have such an option? Or
> do I have to specify all cc addresses in the cover letter manually? I found
> some reference to an unresolved discussion on git@ of that topic in 2016, so
> I might not be the only one who could make use of that feature...

The main problem might be the quantity of recipients.

Many spam filters look at how many recipients on an email
to eliminate likely spam.

kernel.org mailing lists have a maximum email header size.
Too many recipients aren't delivered to the lists.

Using BCC could work, but replies then don't go to all
of the recipients.

Generally, I send only to listed the 0/n patch only
to lists and individual patches to maintainers.

  Last update: 2018-03-23 08:51    [W:0.478 / U:0.268 seconds]