SubjectRe: [RFC 00/12] KVM/X86: Introduce a new guest mapping API
On Sat, 2018-02-10 at 12:33 +0100, KarimAllah Ahmed wrote:
> On 02/05/2018 08:26 PM, Mihai Donțu wrote:
> > On Mon, 2018-02-05 at 19:47 +0100, KarimAllah Ahmed wrote:
> > > Guest memory can either be directly managed by the kernel (i.e. have a "struct
> > > page") or they can simply live outside kernel control (i.e. do not have a
> > > "struct page"). KVM mostly support these two modes, except in a few places
> > > where the code seems to assume that guest memory must have a "struct page".
> >
> > In cases where there is no 'struct page', would it be possible to get
> > two VM-s to share memory (in the way Xen's grant tables do)?
> >
> > We are working on a page sharing mechanism and would like to know if
> > this use case can be accommodated.
>
> If your code is posted somewhere, I can take a look and let you know it
> can be accommodated or not.

Here is the latest patch: https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/10121697/

The work is fairly alpha quality, but my colleague Mircea Cirjaliu is
essentially trying to get two VMA-s (one belonging to a guest and one
to the other) to point to the same page (much like KSM does). I'm not
very familiar with the mm subsystem and whether something similar can
be achieved with VMA-s of type VM_PFNMAP.

--
Mihai Donțu

  Last update: 2018-02-16 12:41    [W:0.074 / U:0.016 seconds]