SubjectRe: About the try to remove cross-release feature entirely by Ingo
On 1/3/2018 4:05 PM, Theodore Ts'o wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 03, 2018 at 11:10:37AM +0900, Byungchul Park wrote:
>>> The point I was trying to drive home is that "all we have to do is
>>> just classify everything well or just invalidate the right lock
>>
>> Just to be sure, we don't have to invalidate lock objects at all but
>> a problematic waiter only.
>
> So essentially you are proposing that we have to play "whack-a-mole"
> as we find false positives, and where we may have to put in ad-hoc
> plumbing to only invalidate "a problematic waiter" when it's
> problematic --- or to entirely suppress the problematic waiter

If we have too many problematic completions(waiters) to handle it,
then I agree with you. But so far, only one exits and it seems able
to be handled even in the future on my own.

Or if you believe that we have a lot of those kind of completions
making trouble so we cannot handle it, the (4) by Amir would work,
no? I'm asking because I'm really curious about your opinion..

> altogether. And in that case, a file system developer might be forced
> to invalidate a lock/"waiter"/"completion" in another subsystem.

As I said, with regard to the invalidation, we don't have to
consider locks at all. It's enough to invalidate the waiter only.

> I will also remind you that doing this will trigger a checkpatch.pl
> *error*:

This is what we decided. And I think the decision is reasonable for
original lockdep. But I wonder if we should apply the same decision
on waiters. I don't insist but just wonder.

--
Thanks,
Byungchul

  Last update: 2018-01-03 09:11    [W:0.472 / U:0.040 seconds]