SubjectRe: Hi (Assigning NULL to variable after freeing it).
On 01/17/18 02:44, Jose Bale wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have just started to contribute to linux kernel. I was thinking of
> giving a patch where a variable is made null after free if not already
> done.
>
> Some thing like this:
> Original code:
> kfree(x);
> ...........some other code...........
>
> I will change this code to:
> New code:
> kfree(x);
> ++ x = NULL;
> ...........some other code...........
>
> Will this kind of code change be accepted by linux kernel?
>
> Also, isn't doing this a better practice - that is, assigning NULL to
> variable after freeing it? What is the best practice? What do people
> think about it?
>
> Any feedback / replies will be greatly appreciated.

General answer is no... unless that particular code expects a freed pointer
to be null. In many cases the code is written so that this isn't needed,
so you would have to check each usage on a case-by-case basis.

Probably best to find something else to patch.

--
~Randy

  Last update: 2018-01-18 00:21    [W:0.035 / U:0.036 seconds]