SubjectRe: [GIT PULL] Security subsystem updates for 4.14
On Fri, Sep 08, 2017 at 02:48:51PM +1000, James Morris wrote:

> Mimi and Christoph worked together on this over several iterations -- I'll
> let them respond.

Mimi --- we should chat next week in LA. I've been working on a
design internally at work which proposes a generic VFS-layer library
(ala how fscrypt in fs/crypto works) which provides data integrity
using per-file Merkle trees.

The goals of this design:

* Simplicity; for ease in security review and upstream review and
acceptance
* Useful for multiple use cases. It is *not* Android/APK specific,
and indeed can be used for other things
* A better way of providing Linux IMA/EVM support for immutable
files by moving the verification from time-of-open to
time-of-readpage. (This significantly reduces the performance
impact, since we don't need to lock down the file while the kernel
needs to run SHA1 on potentially gigabytes worth of file data.)
* Most use cases for file-level checksums are for files that
don’t change over time (e.g., for Video, Audio, Backup files,
etc.) This allows us to provide a cheap and efficient way to
provide checksum protect against storage-level corruption
fairly easily. So by supporting both SHA and CRC-32, we can
make this feature useful for more than just the security heads. :-)
* Like the encryption/fscrypt feature, most of the code to this
feature can be in a VFS-level library, with minimal hooks needed
to those file systems (ext4, f2fs) that wish to provide this
functionality.

- Ted

  Last update: 2017-09-09 00:39    [W:0.125 / U:4.148 seconds]