SubjectRe: [patch 00/29] lockup_detector: Cure hotplug deadlocks and replace duct tape
On Thu, Aug 31, 2017 at 09:15:58AM +0200, Thomas Gleixner wrote:
> The lockup detector is broken is several ways:
>
> - It's deadlock prone vs. CPU hotplug in various ways. Some of these
> are due to recursive cpus_read_lock() others are due to
> cpus_read_lock() from CPU hotplug callbacks which immediately lock
> the machine because cpus are write locked.
>
> - The handling of the cpu hotplug threads happens sideways to the
> smpboot thread infrastructure, which is racy and pointless
>
> - The handling of the user space sysctl interface is a complete
> trainwreck as it fiddles directly with variables which can be
> modified or evaluated by the running watchdogs.
>
> - The perf event initialization is a steaming pile of duct tape as it
> idiotically tries to create perf events over and over even if perf is
> not functional (no hardware, ....). To avoid excessive dmesg spam it
> contains magic printk ratelimiting along with either wrong or useless
> messages.
>
> - The code structure is horrible as ifdef sections are scattered all
> over the place which makes it unreadable
>
> - There is more wreckage, but see the changelogs for the ugly details.
>
> Before I get utterly grumpy, I just pretend that I don't give a sh*t!
>
> The following series sanitizes the facility and addresses the problems.

One of the goals I was trying to achieve with splitting out watchdog_hld.c
was to abstract it as another hw nmi thing. As some arches wanted to move
away from using perf as a hardlockup detector.

So watchdog_nmi_enable/disable was an attempt to be that hook, maybe
watchdog_nmi_reconfigure.

I think some of your hardlockup_detector_perf_enable/disable/restart might
fit into that. The _cleanup() probably not.

Other than that and the compile issue, I don't really have much problems
with the bulk of the changes and my simple tests seem to work fine.

Cheers,
Don

> Thanks,
>
> tglx
> ---
> arch/parisc/kernel/process.c | 2
> arch/powerpc/kernel/watchdog.c | 22 -
> arch/x86/events/intel/core.c | 11
> include/linux/nmi.h | 121 +++----
> include/linux/smpboot.h | 4
> kernel/cpu.c | 6
> kernel/smpboot.c | 22 -
> kernel/sysctl.c | 22 -
> kernel/watchdog_hld.c | 193 ++++++------

  Last update: 2017-09-07 18:05    [W:0.300 / U:0.064 seconds]