SubjectRe: [GIT PULL] x86/mm changes for v4.14: PCID support, 5-level paging support, Secure Memory Encryption support

> On Sep 5, 2017, at 2:17 PM, Linus Torvalds <torvalds@linux-foundation.org> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Sep 4, 2017 at 2:31 AM, Ingo Molnar <mingo@kernel.org> wrote:
>>
>> Please pull the latest ... git tree from:
>>
>> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/tip/tip.git ...
>
> Hmm. My laptop (XPS 13) doesn't resume any more. It suspends, but
> doesn't come back from resume.

You could try booting with nopcid to rule out CR4 issues. I can also imagine SME's very clever CR3 masking causing a problem.

Unfortunately, if it's a PCID problem involving wrong ordering of CR4 initialization, you might get lucky if you suspend with ASID 0 active, causing unfortunate bisection results.

I will test on my XPS 13 after lunch.

> I immediately assumed it was the power management pulls I just did,
> but then I started bisecting, and now it's actually pointing into the
> various x86 pulls I did yesterday instead.
>
> Now, I'm reasonably early in my bisection (so literally "somewhere
> between the 'docs-next' and the 'x86-mm-for-linus' pull), and maybe
> the problem isn't even entirely repeatable and my bisection has
> already gone off the rails, but I thought I'd give at least an early
> heads-up about this thing.
>
> I'll have more as it bisects deeper into the merge window, but it
> might be a while.
>
> Linus

  Last update: 2017-09-05 23:38    [W:0.139 / U:0.104 seconds]