SubjectRe: [patch] mremap.2: Add description of old_size == 0 functionality
On 09/15/2017 11:53 PM, Mike Kravetz wrote:
> +If the value of \fIold_size\fP is zero, and \fIold_address\fP refers to
> +a private anonymous mapping, then
> +.BR mremap ()
> +will create a new mapping of the same pages. \fInew_size\fP
> +will be the size of the new mapping and the location of the new mapping
> +may be specified with \fInew_address\fP, see the description of
> +.B MREMAP_FIXED
> +below. If a new mapping is requested via this method, then the
> +.B MREMAP_MAYMOVE
> +flag must also be specified. This functionality is deprecated, and no
> +new code should be written to use this feature. A better method of
> +obtaining multiple mappings of the same private anonymous memory is via the
> +.BR memfd_create()
> +system call.

Is there any particular reason to deprecate this?

In glibc, we cannot use memfd_create and keep the file descriptor around
because the application can close descriptors beneath us.

(We might want to use alias mappings to avoid run-time code generation
for PLT-less LD_AUDIT interceptors.)

Thanks,
Florian

  Last update: 2017-09-18 15:46    [W:0.111 / U:1.004 seconds]