SubjectRe: [GIT PULL] x86/mm changes for v4.14: PCID support, 5-level paging support, Secure Memory Encryption support
On Thu 2017-09-07 10:07:09, Ingo Molnar wrote:

> * Linus Torvalds <torvalds@linux-foundation.org> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Sep 5, 2017 at 2:40 PM, Ingo Molnar <mingo@kernel.org> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hm, just as background, there are no regression reports I'm aware of
> > > against any of these trees, plus most of the dangerous commits have
> > > been in linux-next for at least two weeks - the majority of them even
> > > longer. The last 2-4 commits of x86/mm are fresher.
> >
> > Side note: I do not believe a lot of people actually run linux-next on
> > laptops, so suspend/resume likely doesn't get a lot of testing in
> > next.
> >
> > I think most people who run linux-next tend to be automation things on farms.
>
> Yeah, so 10af6235e0d3 was in linux-next for over a month, yet no-one reported the
> bug.
>
> > Don't get me wrong - I love linux-next and your tip testing, but I
> > think linux-next is best for finding build errors etc big integration
> > issues, with some very rudimentary actual boot checking.
> >
> > Maybe I'm wrong.
>
> I don't think you are wrong - most boot tests don't involve laptops. linux-next is
> mostly server oriented - and servers are often more debuggable than laptops. (Have
> actual serial ports or physical network connections with serial emulation, etc.)
>
> I tried to maintain a laptop testbox in -tip testing with netconsole for a time -
> but it was quite a bit of pain so I eventually dropped it. (Not that the simple
> boot + kernel build test that -tip does would have uncovered this particular bug.)

Some time ago, Tony Lindgren asked me to test Nokia N900 on -next from
time to time. I do, and it uncovers problems from time to time.

Perhaps if Linus or you asks for a volunteer, they can get one? We
have people submitting patches due to various challenges, perhaps "run
-next for a month" would be suitable challenge?

Pavel

  Last update: 2017-09-15 13:26    [W:0.073 / U:0.320 seconds]