SubjectRe: [v4 2/4] mm, oom: cgroup-aware OOM killer
On Thu 03-08-17 13:47:51, Roman Gushchin wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 02, 2017 at 09:29:01AM +0200, Michal Hocko wrote:

> > > I hope, that iterating over all tasks just to check if there are
> > > in-flight OOM victims might be optimized at some point.
> > > That means, we would be able to choose a victim much cheaper.
> > > It's not easy, but it feels as a right direction to go.
> >
> > You would have to count per each oom domain and that sounds quite
> > unfeasible to me.
>
> It's hard, but traversing the whole cgroup tree from bottom to top
> for each task is just not scalable.

We are talking about the oom path which is a slow path. Besides that
memcg hierarchies will not be very deep usually (we are not talking
about hundreds).

> This is exactly why I've choosen a compromise right now: let's
> iterate over all tasks, but do it by iterating over the cgroup tree.
>

> > > Also, adding new tricks to the oom_evaluate_task() will make the code
> > > even more hairy. Some of the existing tricks are useless for memcg selection.
> >
> > Not sure what you mean but oom_evaluate_task has been usable for both
> > global and memcg oom paths so far. I do not see any reason why this
> > shouldn't hold for a different oom killing strategy.
>
> Yes, but in both cases we've evaluated tasks, not cgroups.

> > > I think, it's reasonable to choose a cgroup/container to blow off based on
> > > the cgroup oom_priority/size (including hierarchical settings), and then
> > > kill one biggest or all tasks depending on cgroup settings.
> >
> > But that doesn't mean you have to treat even !kill-all memcgs like a
> > single entity. In fact we should compare killable entities which is
> > either a task or the whole memcg if configured that way.
>
> I believe it's absolutely valid user's intention to prioritize some
> cgroups over other, even if only one task should be killed in case of OOM.

This is mixing different concepts which I really dislike. The semantic
is getting really fuzzy. How are you going to apply memcg priority when
you are killing a single task? What portion of the memcgs priority does
the task get? Then you have that root is special...

No I really dislike this. We should start simple and compare killable
entities. If you want to apply memcg priority then only on the whole
memcgs.
--
Michal Hocko
SUSE Labs

  Last update: 2017-08-03 15:02    [W:1.450 / U:0.236 seconds]