SubjectRe: suspicious __GFP_NOMEMALLOC in selinux
On Thu 03-08-17 19:02:57, Tetsuo Handa wrote:
> On 2017/08/03 17:11, Michal Hocko wrote:
> > [CC Mel]

> >> [NOTE: added the SELinux list to the CC line, please include that list
> >> when asking SELinux questions]
> >
> > Sorry about that. Will keep it in mind for next posts
> >
> >> The GFP_ATOMIC|__GFP_NOMEMALLOC use in SELinux appears to be limited
> >> to security/selinux/avc.c, and digging a bit, I'm guessing commit
> >> fa1aa143ac4a copied the combination from 6290c2c43973 ("selinux: tag
> >> avc cache alloc as non-critical") and the avc_alloc_node() function.
> >
> > Thanks for the pointer. That makes much more sense now. Back in 2012 we
> > really didn't have a good way to distinguish non sleeping and atomic
> > with reserves allocations.
> >
> >> I can't say that I'm an expert at the vm subsystem and the variety of
> >> different GFP_* flags, but your suggestion of moving to GFP_NOWAIT in
> >> security/selinux/avc.c seems reasonable and in keeping with the idea
> >> behind commit 6290c2c43973.
> >
> > What do you think about the following? I haven't tested it but it should
> > be rather straightforward.
>
> Why not at least __GFP_NOWARN ?

This would require an additional justification.

> And why not also __GFP_NOMEMALLOC ?

What would be the purpose of __GFP_NOMEMALLOC? In other words which
context would set PF_NOMEMALLOC so that the flag would override it?

--
Michal Hocko
SUSE Labs

  Last update: 2017-08-03 12:34    [W:0.061 / U:0.176 seconds]