SubjectRe: kvm splat in mmu_spte_clear_track_bits
On Tue, Aug 29, 2017 at 12:06:42PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 29, 2017 at 11:34 AM, Jerome Glisse <jglisse@redhat.com> wrote:
> >
> > Kirill did regress invalidate_page as it use to be call outside the
> > spinlock and now it is call inside the spinlock thus reverting will
> > introduce back a regression.
>
> Honestly, this MMU notifier thing has been nothing but a badly
> designed mistake from beginning to end, and bad rules for what can
> sleep and what can not are one fundamental problem.
>
> There are fundamentally two levels of VM locking, and those two levels
> are not going to go away, and we're not budging on them:
>
> - there's the "virtual address" level, which can block. We have a
> nice mmap_semaphore, and we guarantee that it's held for writing for
> all changes to the virtual memory layout
>
> This is the "mmap/munmap" kind of granularity. The mmu callbacks at
> *this* level are fine to block.
>
> - then there is the "page level" VM handling, and honestly, that
> *fundamentally* uses a spinlock. If we look at a particular page, that
> page is meaningless without the lock. Really.
>
> I honestly believe that any MMU callback at this level needs to be
> atomic. Some of the absolutely *have* to be (that "change_pte", for
> example).
>
> In that second case, we might have a "begin/end" surrounding the
> actual page table walk. And that might sleep, but then it
> *fundamentally* cannot actually be able some particular single page
> or stable range. Because without the page table spinlock, no such
> stability exists. It's purely a "we are not going to start looking at
> this range" kind of thing.
>
> I really don't understand why the nVidia crap cannot follow those
> simple rules. Because either
>
> (a) you're working with virtual addresses, and you should be able to
> work on that virtual layer
>
> (b) you're actually working with physical pages, and you can just
> hold on to those physical pages yourself.
>
> I really detest our MMU callbacks. I shouldn't have allowed them to be
> merged. And I definitely shoul.dn't allow them to screw up our VM
> layer.
>
> But we have them, and we should work at making sure people do sane things.
>
> And yes, those sane things may include
>
> (a) guaranteeing that the start/end range calls are always done
> around the actual locked region.
>
> (b) adding a ton of validation so that people *see* then they break
> the rules. Even when they don't use some random notifier crud.
>
> That (b) may involve adding a number of "might_sleep()" calls (not
> deep in the notifiers themselves, but in the actual wrapper functions
> even when notifiers are compiled out entirely!), but also adding calls
> to validate those kinds of "you can't call
> mmu_notifier_invalidate_page() without having first called
> mmu_notifier_invalidate_range_start() in a sleepable context".
>
> But (b) definitely should also be a very real onus on the mmu
> notifiers themselves. No way can we sleep when we're traversing page
> [...]

Yes and i am fine with page traversal being under spinlock and not
being able to sleep during that. I agree doing otherwise would be
insane. It is just that the existing behavior of try_to_unmap_one()
and page_mkclean_one() have been broken and that no mmu_notifier
calls were added around the lock section.

I sent a patch that properly compute the range to invalidate and move
to invalidate_range() but is lacking the invalidate_range_start()/
end() so i am gonna respin that with range_start/end bracketing and
assume the worse for the range of address.

Cheers,
Jérôme

  Last update: 2017-08-29 21:15    [W:0.056 / U:1.604 seconds]