SubjectRe: Possible null pointer dereference in adutux.ko

On 15.08.2017 18:58, Oliver Neukum wrote:
> Am Dienstag, den 15.08.2017, 16:38 +0300 schrieb Anton Volkov:

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> your analysis seems correct to me. In fact it looks like
>>>
>>> 66d4bc30d128e7c7ac4cf64aa78cb76e971cec5b
>>> USB: adutux: remove custom debug macro
>>>
>>> more or less broke disconnect on this driver
>>> (the URBs can also finish after dev->udev = NULL)
>>>
>>> Do you want to do a fix or do you want me to do it?
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> Oliver
>>>

>> Hello, Oliver.
>>
>> I am not sure about the best way to solve this problem. If you have any
>> ideas about it then it would probably be better if you could handle the
>> fix. Or if you share the ideas I can prepare a patch.
>
> Hi,
>
> given the age of the drivers I would suggest to simply remove the debugging statements
>
> Regards
> Oliver

Hello, Oliver.

Looks like deletion of lots of debug print won't solve the race problem
because there are other places that could potentially try to dereference
dev->udev when disconnect has already poisoned it. For example in
adu_open there are calls to usb_fill_int_urb with dev->udev as a
parameter to be dereferenced inside the function.

There are other possible solutions, if I understand correctly:
1) although it is described that adutux_mutex should be used to protect
only open_count, it usually protects the whole body of a function, so we
could probably place it before the locking of dev->mtx;
2) move poisoning of dev->udev after usb_deregister_dev in order to wait
for all other callbacks to finish.

What do you think?

Regards,
Anton

-- Anton Volkov
Linux Verification Center, ISPRAS
web: http://linuxtesting.org
e-mail: avolkov@ispras.ru

  Last update: 2017-08-18 17:05    [W:0.085 / U:0.196 seconds]