SubjectRe: random.c: LFSR polynomials are not irreducible/primitive
On Tue, Aug 15, 2017 at 10:45:17AM +0200, Stephan Mueller wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 15. August 2017, 00:21:05 CEST schrieb Theodore Ts'o:
>
> Hi Theodore,
>
> > Have you looked at section 3.1.1 of the above cited paper?
> >
> > http://eprint.iacr.org/2012/251.pdf
>
> Thanks for the hint, but that does not seem to solve the mystery either.
>
> When I use magma with GF(2^32), I see that all polynomials are neither
> primitive nor irreducible:

I believe that assertion being made in that section is not that
modified P(X) is primitive, but that Q(X) is primitive

Q(X) = α**3 (P(X) − 1) + 1

Where multiplication by α**3 is done by a twist-table lookup.

Also of interest might be this paper, which I believe totally missed
when the authors made their proposal on the linux-crypto list in
September 2016 (I've added them to the cc list):

https://eprint.iacr.org/2017/726.pdf

The date on the paper is from just 3 weeks ago or so, and it was just
luck that I found it when Googling to find some other references in
response to your question. (Thanks for raising the question, BTW).

I don't have a huge amount invested in any of the mixing schemes,
because in practice we are *not* feeding large number of zero inputs
into mixing function. So while it is good to make the mixing function
to have as large a cyclic length as possible, it seems unlikely that
the weaknesses of the current polynomials can be leveraged into a
practical attack.

Stephan, if you have any comments on the proposal made by David
Fontaine and Olivier Vivolo, I'd appreciate hearing them!

- Ted

  Last update: 2017-08-15 17:13    [W:0.019 / U:0.784 seconds]