SubjectRe: RGB support prototype
Hi!

> > You mentioned you was working on RGB support prototype. Could you post
> > copy of the patches (even if unfinished)?
>
> Unfortunately it is at the stage of unfinished proof of concept and
> I haven't managed yet to try how it fits to all API use cases we have.
> Nor is it in a shape ready to post to the lists.
>
> I think we could try to discuss the design here. I'll list all the
> issues I encountered during the implementation:
>
> Currently we set LED brightness with following API:
>
> void led_set_brightness(struct led_classdev *led_cdev,
> enum led_brightness brightness);
>
> In case of RGB LED we could have something like this:
>
> struct led_color_triplet {
> enum led_brightness red;
> enum led_brightness green;
> enum led_brightness blue;
> };
>
> void led_rgb_set_brightness(struct led_rgb_classdev *led_rgb_cdev,
> struct led_color_triplet *color);
>
> We've agreed that LED RGB class device color could be set by writing
> space separated list of "r g b" color values to a sysfs "color" file.
>
> While the above itself shouldn't raise too many doubts, they
> arise quickly while trying to adapt it to the internal LED core
> facilities:
>
> - led_base_timer_function()
> - set_brightness_delayed()
> - led_blink_* API family
>
> All these introduce problems especially with brightness/color type.
> I tried to add a new abstraction layer by introducing
> struct led_base_cdev with a set of generic ops that could be initialized
> by particular type of LED but still the problem with brightness type
> generalization remains. One solution could be an union with fields
> mapping to either single or three brightness components.
>
> Other option could be void *brightness type which could be then
> cast to the required brightness type basing on the LED flag.

Void *brightness is not really a good option.

We could pass triplet even in case of single-color LEDs, and then use
just one component.

Another option would be to store color in HSV colorspace (not RGB). Then existing
functions would get brightness (== value in HSV), and RGB-aware functions would
operate on all 3 components. Triggers/blinking/etc. would then continue operating,
without modifications.

We could even export (read-only) hue/saturation for single-color LEDs...

Pavel

  Last update: 2017-08-13 13:41    [W:0.078 / U:0.196 seconds]