SubjectRe: PWM backlight initial state assumptions, or how pwm_bl killed my (nyan) cat^W backlight support
Hi,

On Wed, 2017-07-05 at 13:07 +0200, Philipp Zabel wrote:
> Hi Paul,
>
> On Wed, 2017-07-05 at 13:41 +0300, Paul Kocialkowski wrote:
> > Hey,

> > > Personally I might be inclined to spread the blame a bit wider ;-).
> > >
> > > Did you bisect it down to a specific patch? An SHA-1 would be something
> > > of a time saver here!
> >
> > The offending commit here is d1b81294575098d989be1f2f6bb628091ceaa87b, that
> > added a check on the intial PWM state.
> >
> > The policy I'm describing was introduced with
> > 3698d7e7d221a5c90d4b55e96d0c8f98a8b4d7df which did not break my use case at
> > this
> > point. It will still disable the driver if the regulator was not enabled
> > already, which I think is not desirable. The policy on the initial GPIO
> > state is
> > also quite disputable.
>
> Some panels have a documented powerup sequence, which usually ends with
> the backlight being enabled to avoid showing garbage before the panel is
> initialized completely.
> The reason for 3698d7e7d221 was a device with the display disabled out
> of the bootloader, where the backlight is controlled by the simple-panel
> driver. Enabling the backlight from the backlight driver before the
> panel driver requests the backlight to be enabled (before the panel is
> powered) would result in a white flash during boot.
>
> I tried to be careful to only let the backlight driver set the initial
> state to disabled if a few conditions are met: the GPIO is already
> configured as output and disabled, and the backlight device tree node
> has a phandle pointing to it, so we can expect there to be some
> controlling instance that will enable it when appropriate.
>
> I wonder why in your case there is a phandle link to the backlight node
> but nothing actually enables the backlight during boot. I would expect
> that to be handled by the panel driver.

I had completely missed the fact that the panel driver is supposed to request
backlight enable! With that in mind, this policy no longer concerns "the whole
lifetime of the driver" but only the timeframe between backlight probe and panel
probe. Thanks for clarifying this. I suppose I agree with this policy now.

So remains the question: why does the panel not enable backlight on my device?

I will investigate this later today. Hopefully, the probe defer logic should
prevent a case where the panel is probed (to the end) before the backlight
driver.

--
Paul Kocialkowski, developer of free digital technology and hardware support

Website: https://www.paulk.fr/
Coding blog: https://code.paulk.fr/
Git repositories: https://git.paulk.fr/ https://git.code.paulk.fr/

  Last update: 2017-07-05 13:48    [W:0.042 / U:0.052 seconds]