SubjectRe: PWM backlight initial state assumptions, or how pwm_bl killed my (nyan) cat^W backlight support
On 04/07/17 21:13, Paul Kocialkowski wrote:
> As I try to maintain support for ARM CrOS (read, ChromeOS/ChromiumOS) devices in
> upstream Linux on my spare time, I try to test out rc and stable versions as
> often as time allows. I have been rolling out 4.12 since Monday and noticed that
> the backlight on my tegra124 nyan big stayed dark for this release.
>
> Not very cool, although I'm not blaming anyone else than myself on this,
> I should have just tested it and brought the issue up during the rc cycle.
> Still, let's try to move forward.

Personally I might be inclined to spread the blame a bit wider ;-).

Did you bisect it down to a specific patch? An SHA-1 would be something
of a time saver here!

Daniel.

> After investigating, it appears that the pwm_bl driver is enforcing a policy on
> heavily relying on the backlight initial state
> (pwm_backlight_initial_power_state). To make it short, if backlight wasn't
> detected as already enabled by the bootloader, it's going to refuse to enable it
> during the whole lifetime of the driver.
>
> This policy isn't exactly new (so I do realize that I'm a bit late to the
> party), but it went one step further this cycle by adding a check on the PWM
> state. This broke support for my nyan big, as the pwm driver does not check for
> the previous state at probe time and reports it as disabled initially.
>
> One could say that the driver has to be fixed to report that state (and I agree
> it is a desirable thing to do), but I think it is a symptom of a broader issue.
>
> Basically, do we really want pwm_bl to behave this way? What is the rationale
> behind this decision, other than "because we can"? A strong argument against it
> is that not all bootloaders have support for turning the backlight on (that is
> definitely not the case on the omap3 sniper and omap4 kc1 boards with upstream
> U-Boot, that I introduced to mainline Linux).
>
> Also, we can still expect the gpio/regulator/pwm drivers to be reset at probe
> time (and I also agree it's not necessarily a good thing, especially as far as
> backlight is concerned, but that's the reality and dropping backlight support in
> those cases doesn't seem like an appropriate course of action). This will result
> in pwm_bl assuming that backlight was not enabled by the bootloader and thus
> refuse to enable it at all times.
>
> Comments and reactions are welcome, as I'd really like to find a sane way to
> resolve this problem.
>
> Cheers!

  Last update: 2017-07-05 12:25    [W:0.059 / U:0.980 seconds]