SubjectRe: Moving ndctl development into the kernel tree?
On 07/22/2017 02:49 PM, Dan Williams wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 21, 2017 at 7:52 PM, Dan Williams <dan.j.williams@intel.com> wrote:
>> [ adding Chris ]

>>> Ah, nice, that refactoring happened about a year after ndctl was born.
>>> Which brings up the next question about what to do with the git
>>> history, but I'd want to know if ndctl is even welcome upstream before
>>> digging any deeper.
>>
>> I suspect this would be similar to what Chris did to merge btrfs while
>> retaining the standalone history. Chris, any pointers on what worked
>> well and what if anything you would do differently? I.e. I'm looking
>> to use git filter-branch to rewrite ndctl history as if if had always
>> been in tools/ndctl in the kernel tree. I found this old thread
>> https://lkml.org/lkml/2008/10/30/523 and it seems to also recommend
>> using an older kernel as the branch base.
>
> So it wasn't as painful as I thought it would be, I just used the
> script Linus recommended in that thread. Here is what I came up with
> merging the last ndctl release on top of v4.9, and then applying the
> pending development patches re-filtered to tools/ndctl:
>
> https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/djbw/nvdimm.git/log/?h=for-4.14/ndctl
>
> ...the next thing would be to rework the versioning to use the kernel
> version and switch to using tools/lib/subcmd/.

I'd like to say I figured it all out back then, but the truth is that
Linus held my hand the whole way. My memory of it is that his script
worked really well, I just ran that and verified the results.

-chris

  Last update: 2017-07-25 17:14    [W:0.046 / U:0.356 seconds]