SubjectRe: [RFC 0/2] arm-smmu-v3 tlbi-on-map option
Hi Eric,

On Sun, Jul 09, 2017 at 05:15:01PM +0200, Eric Auger wrote:
> This series adds a new tlbi-on-map option to the smmuv3 driver.
> When set, the IO_PGTABLE_QUIRK_TLBI_ON_MAP quirk is applied for
> LPAE tables and the smmuv3 driver sends TLB invalidations on map.
>
> This mode is useful when running the driver on a guest as it allows
> the virtualizer to trap any change to the translation structures.
> This is similar to the Intel vtd caching mode (CM).
>
> This is especially needed for VFIO integration integration where
> guest mappings must be applied to the physical IOMMU.
>
> At the moment the option only is available for DT probing.

I'm really not a fan of this approach. If a virtual IOMMU implementation is
advertising itself as an SMMUv3, then it should adhere to the SMMUv3
architecture and not require non-standard behaviour from the driver. If
we're going to allow that, then we're better off going the extra mile and
using a PV approach. Given that the the SMMU3 architecture does *not*
require TLBI on map, then I don't think we should be quirking our behaviour
in this way. The fact that you only have this implemented for DT is the
canary in the coal mine imo.

Will

  Last update: 2017-07-12 19:55    [W:0.476 / U:0.036 seconds]