SubjectRe: WMI and Kernel:User interface
On Sat, Jun 03, 2017 at 12:50:58PM -0700, Darren Hart wrote:
> On Wed, May 10, 2017 at 07:13:41AM +0200, Greg Kroah-Hartman wrote:
> > On Tue, May 09, 2017 at 04:16:39PM -0700, Darren Hart wrote:
> > > Linus and Greg,
> > >
> > > We are in the process of redesigning the Windows Management Instrumentation
> > > (WMI) [1] system in the kernel. WMI is the Microsoft implementation of Web-Based
> > > Enterprise Management (WBEM). We are looking to provide WMI access to userspace,
> > > while allowing the kernel to filter requests that conflict with its own usage.
> > > We'd like your take on how this approach relates to our commitment to not break
> > > userspace.
> > >
> > > For this discussion, we are specifically referring to ACPI PNP0C14 WMI
> > > devices, consisting of a GUID and a set of methods and events, as well as a
> > > precompiled intermediate description of the methods and arguments (MOF). Exposed
> > > to userspace, these methods provide for BIOS interaction and are used for system
> > > management as well as LEDs, hot keys, radio switches, etc. There is vendor
> > > interest in achieving feature parity with Windows by exposing WMI methods to
> > > userspace for system management.
> > >
> > > While it appears WMI intended to be accessed from userspace, we have
> > > made use of it in the kernel to support various laptop features by connecting
> > > the WMI methods to other subsystems, notably input, leds, and rfkill [2]. The
> > > challenge is continuing to use WMI for these platform features, while allowing
> > > userspace to use it for system management tasks. Unfortunately, the WMI methods
> > > are not guaranteed to be split up along granular functional lines, and we will
> > > certainly face situations where the same GUID::METHOD_ID will be needed for a
> > > kernel feature (say LED support) as well as a system management task.
> > >
> > > To address this, I have proposed [3] that exporting WMI be opt-in, only done at
> > > the request of and in collaboration with a vendor, with the kernel platform
> > > driver given the opportunity to filter requests. This filtering would need to be
> > > at the method and argument inspection level, such as checking for specific bits
> > > in the input buffer, and rejecting the request if they conflict with an in
> > > kernel usage (that's worst case, in some cases just GUID or method ID could be
> > > sufficient).
> > >
> > > Because the kernel and the platform drivers are under continual development, and
> > > new systems appear regularly, we will encounter necessary changes to the
> > > platform driver WMI request filters. These changes could be considered a change
> > > to the kernel provided WMI interface to userspace. For example, we could
> > > regularly accept a call to $GUID::$METHOD_ID with bit 4 of the buffer set, and
> > > later deny the call when we determine it interferes with kernel usage.
> > >
> > > In your view, is it acceptable to provide a chardev interface, for example,
> > > exposing WMI methods to userspace, with the understanding that the kernel may
> > > choose to filter certain requests which conflict with its own use? And that this
> [...]

In the end, this shouldn't really matter, as long as nothing breaks as
far as a user notices. And that's the key here, apis can change, but if
you do it in a way that breaks something, or anyone notices, then it's
not ok.

So I don't have a solid answer other than "good luck!" :)

greg k-h

  Last update: 2017-06-12 01:41    [W:0.062 / U:0.080 seconds]