SubjectRe: New vger mailing list request - linux-firmware
On Thu, Jun 8, 2017 at 1:19 PM, Linus Torvalds
<torvalds@linux-foundation.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 8, 2017 at 1:11 PM, Luis R. Rodriguez <mcgrof@kernel.org> wrote:
>>
>> Do users deserve the amount of silly regressions and issues we've seen
>> over the years on firmware_class ? Would yet-another mailing list help
>> ? I think so.
>
> No.
>
> Boutique mailing lists are generally a _bad_ thing. All it means that
> there's an increasingly small "in group" that thinks that they
> generate consensus beause nobody disagrees with their small boutique
> list, because nobody else even _sees_ that small list.
>
> We should only have mailing lists if they really merit the volume, and
> are big enough that there are lots of users.

Even many device drivers tend to have mailing lists. While I see the
"in group" thing being a bad thing, I would say a few folks would be a
bit disturbed if they were requested to subscribe and read lkml to get
their driver updates they need to review. Its not clear to me where
the distinction should be made though. I tend to agree perhaps a
*vger* mailing list is not in merit for firmware_class, its not
obvious to me say an infradead.org list might not be in order.

Luis

  Last update: 2017-06-12 01:36    [W:0.078 / U:0.496 seconds]