SubjectRe: [patch 0/7] x86/pci: Switch to lockless ECAM configuration mode
[+cc linux-pci]

On Thu, Jun 22, 2017 at 12:28:09AM +0200, Thomas Gleixner wrote:
> Andi,
>
> On Mon, 12 Jun 2017, Andi Kleen wrote:
> > On Thu, Mar 16, 2017 at 10:50:02PM +0100, Thomas Gleixner wrote:
> > > Andi reported that the Intel Uncore performance monitoring suffers from the
> > > global pci_lock which protects the generic PCI config space accessors.
> > >
> > > This lock can be removed on X86 because all architecture specific config
> > > space accessors are either serialized by a seperate lock or can be
> > > converted to have their own locking. The mmconfig based access (ECAM) does
> > > not require serialization at the config read/write level because the access
> > > is a simple byte/word/dword read from or write to the memory mapped
> > > configuration space. In that case the lock does not provide any more
> > > protection than the hardware provides already.
> > >
> > > The series converts the CE4100 PCI low level accessors to use the x86
> > > specific pci_config_lock and implements the switch over to lockless ECAM
> > > configureation space accesors when the system is capable.
> >
> > What's the status of this patch series? The lock contention
> > problem is still there.
>
> Just rechecked. It still applies and boots (patch 6/7) dropped.
>
> If Bjorn has no objections I can route it through tip tomorrow.

Sorry for the delay. I use patchwork as my to-do list, and it only
looks at linux-pci. This series wasn't posted there, so I didn't see
it until now.

I have a couple trivial comments but I think it looks great overall.
Here's my ack if you want to apply it via tip:

Acked-by: Bjorn Helgaas <bhelgaas@google.com>

Bjorn

  Last update: 2017-06-27 22:55    [W:0.066 / U:0.164 seconds]