SubjectRe: bitmap API consistency
On Wed, 2017-05-24 at 14:38 +0200, Rasmus Villemoes wrote:
> On 24 May 2017 at 14:11, Andy Shevchenko
> <andriy.shevchenko@linux.intel.com> wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > Surprisingly discovered today that bitmap API is not consistent in
> > some
> > cases (at least one I found recently).
> >
> > bitmap_fill() sets area of bits in a bitmap.
> > bitmap_zero() clears them.
> >
> > However, if _fill() does something sane, _zero() clears _all_ bits
> > up to
> > word size (long).
> >
> > I think it should be fixed to be consistent with _fill() variant.
>
> What do you want it to do?

Based on my vision and your answer below, thanks for it, I think we need
a) make _fill() to fill entire _aligned_ area
b) update comments in the header and documentation, if needed, to
specify that _fill() / _zero() operates on aligned to word size area,
while _set() and _clear() do exact amount of bits.

--
Andy Shevchenko <andriy.shevchenko@linux.intel.com>
Intel Finland Oy

  Last update: 2017-05-24 14:48    [W:0.037 / U:0.156 seconds]