SubjectRe: future of sounds/oss
On Thu, 11 May 2017 12:36:47 +0200,
Takashi Sakamoto wrote:

> Oops. I misunderstand to have discussion about stuffs in
> 'sound/core/oss/*', because the compatibility layer also includes
> abuses of set_fs() and I'm interested in it today...

Yes, the stuff in sound/core/oss required an intensive surgery to get
rid of set_fs(). But this resulted in a good cleanup of the
duplicated copy/silence callbacks in the end.

> For stuffs in 'sound/oss', we should certainly have care of points
> which Iwai-san mentioned. If we get rid of it, we can also apply diet
> to 'soundcore' module which gives 'sound' class but include some
> helper functions just for Open Sound System drivers.

Right, that's low-hanging fruits we can take once after confirming the
removal of OSS drivers. The soundcore module can be removed and
integrated into the ALSA OSS emulation stuff, for example.

thanks,

Takashi

  Last update: 2017-05-11 14:15    [W:0.236 / U:0.488 seconds]