lkml.org 
[lkml]   [2017]   [May]   [10]   [last100]   RSS Feed
Views: [wrap][no wrap]   [headers]  [forward] 
 
Messages in this thread
/
From
Date
SubjectRe: [RFC GIT PULL, v2] RCU changes for v4.12
On Wed, May 10, 2017 at 12:54 PM, Paul E. McKenney
<paulmck@linux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:
>
> I am testing a merge with current linus/master, and I looked through
> the commits in -next selected by:
>
> gitk v4.11.. --no-merges --all-match --grep=drm --grep=selftest
>
> I didn't find anything obvious. If the tests complete successfully,
> I will try running the DRM selftest.

The drivers/gpu/drm/i915/selftests/mock_gem_device.c had a new use of
SLAB_DESTROY_BY_RCU, which obviously conflicted with the rename to
SLAB_TYPESAFE_BY_RCU.

It doesn't show up as a merge-time code conflict, only as a build-time
failure. It's why I do allmodconfig builds after every pull. That
doesn't catch everything (I only do it for x86-64, for example), but
it catches a lot.

And no, it's not a problem. These things happen, and it's literally my
job to make sure my merges work out.

I don't actually expect submaintainers to figure things like that out,
although this *did* show up in linux-next, and it's a bit
disappointing how that information got lost somewhere on the way.

It kind of implies that the prep work that linux-next does doesn't get
fully used.

Normally I wouldn't even have mentioned it, if it wasn't for the fact
that I got a 300kB data dump in my mailbox, and that huge amount of
data wasn't actually even very relevant.

Linus

\
 
 \ /
  Last update: 2017-05-10 22:18    [W:0.087 / U:1.960 seconds]
©2003-2017 Jasper Spaans. hosted at Digital OceanAdvertise on this site