SubjectRe: [RFC 00/10] V4L2 explicit synchronization support
Hello Gustavo,

On 04/06/2017 10:08 AM, Gustavo Padovan wrote:
> Hi Javier,
>
> 2017-04-05 Javier Martinez Canillas <javier@osg.samsung.com>:
>
>> Hello Gustavo,

>>> For QBUF the only difference is that we set flags for fences and pass
>>> and receives in and out fences. For DQBUF the behavior is exactly the
>>> same. What incompatibles or hacks do you see?
>>>
>>> I had the expectation that the flags would be for userspace to learn
>>> about any different behavior.

>>> I'm pretty new to v4l2 so I don't know all use cases yet, but what I
>>> thought was to just add extra flags to QBUF to mark when using fences
>>> instead of having userspace to setup completely new ioctls for fences.
>>> The burden for userspace should be smaller with flags.
>>>

>> Yes, you are right. So I guess its better indeed to just extend the current
>> ioctls as you propose and only move to new ones if really needed.

>>> DRM plane is a different thing, its a representation of a region on the
>>> screen and there is only one buffer for each DRM plane.
>>>

>> Yes, but you can still have different DRM planes, right? For example a RGB
>> primary plane and a YUV overlay plane for video display. That's why I thought
>> there would be some mapping between the v4l2 planes and DRM planes since there's
>> a way for DRM to import dma-bufs exported by v4l2 and vice-versa.
>>
>>> One of the questions I raised was: how to match V4L2 per-plane fences to
>>> DRM per-buffer fences?
>>>

>> I don't think that DRM fences should be per-buffer but instead per dma-buf.
>> It's OK if there's a 1:1 mapping between DRM buffer and dma-buf, but that's
>> not the case for v4l2. You can have many dma-bufs in a v4l2_buffer, one per
>> each v4l2 plane.
>>
>> IOW, it shouldn't be about DRM buffers waiting for fences associated with
>> v4l2 buffers, but instead about DRM waiting for fences associated with
>> dma-bufs that were exported by v4l2 and imported by DRM.
>
> The explicit synchronization implementation on DRM never deals directly
> with reservation objects. That is what implicit synchronization does.
> To be strict in explicit we associated the to a job, and the job can be
> anything. For DRM in-fences they are per-plane and the signaling of the
> fence tell us the framebuffer is ready to be scanned out. For out-fences
> they are per-crtc (which includes many dma-bufs). So setting them to be

I see, thanks a lot for the clarification and sorry for my ignorance about
explicit fences support in DRM.

> per dma-buf only for V4L2 limits our possibilities to solve problems.

Yes, having it per dma-buf will not help when using fences with DRM indeed.

> So instead, let's what problems we want to solve and how sane the
> userspace api can be.
>
> In which situations will we have an advantage for having per-plane
> fences on V4L2? Not all userspace applications will need that and
> per-buffer is much simpler as an API.

I was thinking in a case where you are using fences between two v4l2
devices that can process individual planes in a multi-planar format.

But as mentioned in a previous email, currently it won't have any
advantage since the interface between videobuf2 and v4l2 drivers uses
vb2_buffer and not vb2_planes. That is, individual planes can't be
passed between vb2 and drivers and only complete buffers (so fences
will be signaled at the same time anyways even if are per plane).

But I thought the API shouldn't be restricted by this vb2 implementation
detail since vb2 can be changed in the future to pass vb2_planes instead.

> As discussed earlier we should do it in incremental steps and support
> per v4l2-buffer first, then once that is done we can add per-plane to
> it.

Yes, I misunderstood how explicit fences worked for DRM and thought that
was used to protect individual dma-bufs. But as you said, out-fences are
per CRTC so then I guess that makes sense to have per v4l2_buffer fences
in v4l2/vb2, since explicit fences are used to signal that an operation
occurred rather than a specific dma-buf is ready to be accessed.

> Gustavo

Best regards,
--
Javier Martinez Canillas
Open Source Group

  Last update: 2017-04-06 16:36    [W:0.094 / U:0.796 seconds]