SubjectRe: [RFC 0/8] Copy Offload with Peer-to-Peer PCI Memory
Date

> My first reflex when reading this thread was to think that this whole domain
> lends it self excellently to testing via Qemu. Could it be that doing this in
> the opposite direction might be a safer approach in the long run even though
> (significant) more work up-front?

While the idea of QEMU for this work is attractive it will be a long time before QEMU is in a position to support this development.

Another approach is to propose a common development platform for p2pmem work using a platform we know is going to work. This an extreme version of the whitelisting approach that was discussed on this thread. We can list a very specific set of hardware (motherboard, PCIe end-points and (possibly) PCIe switch enclosure) that has been shown to work that others can copy for their development purposes.

p2pmem.io perhaps ;-)?

Stephen

  Last update: 2017-04-25 23:26    [W:0.563 / U:0.160 seconds]