SubjectRe: Question on the five-level page table support patches
On Mon, Apr 24, 2017 at 10:37:40PM +0200, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
> On 04/24/2017 06:19 PM, Kirill A. Shutemov wrote:
> > In proposed implementation, we also use hint address, but in different
> > way: by default, if hint address is NULL, kernel would not create mappings
> > above 47-bits, preserving compatibility.
>
> Ooooh, that would solve a lot of problems actually if it were to be available
> on all architectures. On SPARC, the situation is really annoying and I have
> been discussing a solution with the Qt developers and they suggested a
> similar approach, just one that would also apply to brk() [1].
>
> > If an application wants to have access to larger address space, it has to
> > specify hint addess above 47-bits.
> >
> > See details here:
> >
> > http://lkml.kernel.org/r/20170420162147.86517-10-kirill.shutemov@linux.intel.com
>
> Thanks. I'll have a read. Although from your message I'm reading out that
> this particular proposal got rejected.

No. I just wasn't applied yet, so situation may change.

> Would be really nice to able to have a canonical solution for this issue,
> it's been biting us on SPARC for quite a while now due to the fact that
> virtual address space has been 52 bits on SPARC for a while now.

Power folks are going to implement similar approach. I don't see why Sparc
can't go the same route.

--
Kirill A. Shutemov

  Last update: 2017-04-25 00:03    [W:1.441 / U:0.016 seconds]