SubjectRE: Reduce Linux boot time on Large scale system
Date

call in into a generic function ]
>12 [handshake (generic)] [handshake (generic)]
>13 [more arch specific magic] [more arch specific magic]

>14-20 [ CPU starting ]
[ CPU goes online ]

>40 [ CPU active, hotplug done ]

>So the first step in parallelizing this would be:

> for_each_present_cpu(cpu)
> cpu_up(target_state = 10);

>i.e. make the allocations and whatever preparatory work needs to be done and kick the CPU into life. The target CPU would intialize the low level stuff and then call into a generic function, which does the generic initialization and then waits for the handshake.

>So the next thing would be:

> for_each_present_cpu(cpu)
> cpu_up(target_state = 40);

>This last step has to be single threaded for now because almost all CPU hotplug using facilities rely on the current serialization. There are also code pathes which use get_online_cpus() or cpu_hotplug_disable() to prevent interaction with cpu hotplug.

>The hotplug machinery is already designed so that after the handshake (#12/13] a plugged CPU can bring up itself completely alone, but due to the serialization expectations all over the place this won't work today.

>To make it work, you have to go through every single instance of CPU hotplug callback users and every single site which prevents hotplug via
get_online_cpus() or cpu_hotplug_disable() and audit them for concurrency issues and fix them up.

>There might also be interaction required with the state machine, i.e. stop the state progress on a self plugging CPU between two steps to make serialization work.

What would be a good base to start on all above?
Would some formal release like v4.8 TAG good enough , or do I need to base on some other specific HEAD (or TAG)?

Thanks,
Noam

  Last update: 2017-04-19 12:09    [W:0.233 / U:0.252 seconds]